We’re looking for passionate early career researchers with a peer-reviewed discovery to present their science as part of the inaugural FameLab Australia – a new competition presented by the British Council and Fresh Science.
Plain speaking essential. Music, song, poetry and props optional.
Applicants can be honours students, graduate students or up to 5 years post-PhD, and researching in any field of science, maths or engineering.
FameLab Australia will add an international element of performance to the existing Fresh Science program, which celebrates the achievements of early career researchers and shares their work with media and the public.
Up to 60 early career researchers will be chosen to join us at State Heats across Australia, where they will:
- learn to find the story in their science and explain their work to a general audience
- practice their media skills with journalists from TV, radio and the papers
- get on stage to present their work to the public, with three minutes to inspire them…and our panel of judges
The top two from each State Heat will jet over to Perth for the national final.
Over four days, they’ll perfect their pitch with help from experts in communication and presentation, and we’ll tell the media and science community about their work.
The winner of the national final will head to the UK to represent Australia at the FameLab International Grand Final, at the Times Cheltenham Science Festival in June.
Applying is easy. Applicants need to:
- Tell us about their work in our short online form
- Show us their passion in a simple video – a smartphone will do – explaining their discovery
- Nominations for FameLab Australia are now open and close at 12 midday 3 March 2014.
- FameLab State Heats will be held across Australia in March and April, followed by the national final in Perth from 12-15 May.
- The International Grand Final will be held as part of the Times Cheltenham Science Festival in the UK from 3-8 June.
To apply online, and for key dates and selection criteria, head to: www.famelab.org.au
FameLab Australia is presented by the British Council, Cheltenham Festivals and Fresh Science; and supported by Inspiring Australia, the Western Australian Museum and the British High Commission, Canberra.