Dates Training 30 May, Schools event 31 May , Pub night 31 May
Training Fresh Science Victoria comprised a day of media and communication training at Scienceworks Museum in Spotswood. We will issue press releases for the best story from each final.
Schools event About 300 Melbourne school students were invited to a free, one-hour forum at Melbourne Museum on May 31 to hear from our twelve early-career Fresh Scientists. Flyer for schools.
Pub night at the Kelvin Club in the city, 31 May. A crowd of around 100 joined us for a beer and heard twelve leading early-career scientists reveal their discoveries, presenting their work in the time it takes a party sparkler to burn out. Flyer.
This year’s Victorian Freshies are:
- Kathleen Beggs, Deakin University – Doing chemistry with carbon fibre in a microwave
- George Chen, the University of Melbourne – When ‘WHEY’ no longer equals waste
- Eric Pui Fung Chow, Alfred Health – HPV infection reduction in young men
- Enrico Della Gaspera, RMIT University – Researchers unlock new materials using (powerful) camera flashes
- Muhammad Awais Javed, Swinburne University of Technology – Do microorganisms eat metals?
- Yugeesh Lankadeva, Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health – The hidden culprit behind kidney failure in sepsis
- Han Lin, Swinburne University of Technology – Store energy in graphene thin film
- Chun Hin Ng, Monash University – Plastics, Shining the Way for Hydrogen Power
- Berkay Ozcelik, CSIRO – Invisible films and pumped-up cells cure blindness!
- Jaclyn Pearson, Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity at the University of Melbourne – Never say die: sneaky, sweet talking bacteria
- Samuel Skinner, the University of Melbourne – Pushing s#!t: improving wastewater filtration
- Amy Winship, Hudson Institute of Medical Research – Novel fertility-preserving treatment for women with uterine cancer
Our Supporters Fresh Science Victoria partners are Museum Victoria, the CSIRO, Deakin University, Monash University, RMIT University, the University of Melbourne and Swinburne University of Technology.