Announcing the 2016 Freshies in Victoria, WA and SA
- Kathleen Beggs, Deakin University – Doing chemistry with carbon fibre in a microwave
- George Chen, the University of Melbourne – When ‘WHEY’ no longer equals waste
- Eric Pui Fung Chow, Alfred Health – HPV infection reduction in young men
- Enrico Della Gaspera, RMIT University – Researchers unlock new materials using (powerful) camera flashes
- Muhammad Awais Javed, Swinburne University of Technology – Do microorganisms eat metals?
- Yugeesh Lankadeva, Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health – The hidden culprit behind kidney failure in sepsis
- Han Lin, Swinburne University of Technology – Store energy in graphene thin film
- Chun Hin Ng, Monash University – Plastics, Shining the Way for Hydrogen Power
- Berkay Ozcelik, CSIRO – Invisible films and pumped-up cells cure blindness!
- Jaclyn Pearson, Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity at the University of Melbourne – Never say die: sneaky, sweet talking bacteria
- Samuel Skinner, the University of Melbourne – Pushing s#!t – improving wastewater filtration
- Amy Winship, Hudson Institute of Medical Research – Novel fertility-preserving treatment for women with uterine cancer
- Lucy Forman, Curtin University – Subtle secrets of the Solar System
- Bonnie Furzer, University of Western Australia – Strength and hyper mobility in children
- Tegan Grace, University of Notre Dame – Maternal hypertension and preeclampsia affect longitudinal motor development
- Christine Groom, Home duties – Community of Perth can help save Carnaby’s cockatoo
- Diego Milani, University of Notre Dame – Neuroprotective properties of poly-arginine peptides
- Michelle Olaithe, University of Western Australia – Thinking skills harmed by night-time breathing disorder
- Charlotte Oskam, Murdoch University – The hidden bacterial world in Australian ticks
- Alison Ritchie, Curtin University – Pollinators are vital for reconnecting Perth’s threatened woodlands
- Favil Singh, Edith Cowan University – Benefits of exercise done before prostate cancer surgery
- Erica Suosaari, Bush Heritage Australia – Stromatolite provinces of Hamelin Pool
- Mona Awadalla, Flinders University – Genetic cause of small eyes found by Adelaide scientists
- Karen Best, South Australian Health & Medical Research Institute – Fishing for a way to prevent allergy
- Eriita Jones, University of South Australia – A global map of surface materials on Mars
- Anna Leonard, University of Adelaide – Take the pressure down: new targets for spinal trauma
- Ramkrishna Nirola, University of South Australia – Green and Gold actually comes out more than that !
- Stephanie Plummer, University of Adelaide – Natural molecule helps brain heal itself after trauma!
- Malcolm Purdey, University of Adelaide – Sensors for Healthier Hearts and Babies
- Stephanie Shepheard, Flinders University – Urine holds the key to motor neuron disease
- Hannah Wardill, University of Adelaide – TLR4: the new pain in the gut for cancer patients
- Sharon Zivkovic, University of South Australia – Addressing societies most wicked problems with complexity science
We’re judging the NSW and Queensland nominations now and will announce the 2016 Fresh Scientists for those states soon.